Eastern Americana


Archive of correspondence from Abigail Stone, wife of missionary Cyrus Stone. All of the correspondence is during her time based in Bombay India and covers the period 1837-1840. This is an important period because, according to the Missionary Herald we hear nothing of either Mr. or Mrs. Stone after 1837. She wrote her letters over a number of days so it reads a bit like a diary. There is a 16 page journal, 3 legal size letters, and another two letters. They are to family back in America. She struggles with her health but her character and faith is strong. The close bond with her family is evident. Although her husband is based in Ceylon after 1838 while she remains in Bombay, they appear to be close and they appear to join together again in Ceylon, based on the journal.

t-eam024a1Here is a small selection of the journal: We have been here about 3 weeks I had a rather hard journey here got fever and cold before I arrived so was obliged to call physician however I soon recovered and in a few days was able to be about. The kind hand of God has been graciously stretched over me since I left Bombay…I am surprised at my stupidity and earthly mindedness. t-eam024a2It seems as tho my thoughts and affections were entirely engrossed in worldly cares and pursuits…My husband has gone out to attend a service at the Mission Chapel after which he is going to the Episcopal Church in the L to hear Rev Jackson preach and to partake of the sacrament there. Everything is very still and quiet in this large garden and compound…Mr Stone has gone to preach at the Manatha service and I am left at home along…Since I last wrote in my journal I have come on to their place from M to be associated with Bro M and husband in missionary labour and Bro M and my husband have gone out on a tour of 2 months…We arrived at Hununyabad on the 22nd spent one week in the family of Capt Parker who very kindly took us into his family till we could look about us and find a place of ? After looking at a number of places and consulting the most ? and missionary operations we selected Hajiem Bay west of the great city of Hununyabad and near Besgampoor here we are close to the Native population of Brahmins and Manathas who come in daily more or less to receive ? and to whom the gospel is more or less preached. This I consider an interesting field of labor. I have very little expectation that the Mission will allow us to continue here long…may it result in the furtherance of his gospel among this poor deluded heathen population…

t-eam024a3Another interesting piece of information is that when she arrived in India she was assigned to assist Cynthia Farrar, the superintendent of schools at the mission. Her claim to fame is that she was the first single American female missionary to be assigned overseas.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Farrar

34 manuscript pages in all. A nice collection that fills in gaps from the Missionary Herald. SOLD

Price: $1100.00

t-eam024a4Note: Abigail H Kimball was born in Waterford Maine in 1812. She left Boston for Bombay on May 21, 1834, arriving in Bombay on September 10. She was assigned to assist Cynthia Farrar, the first American single female missionary to be located overseas. She married Cyrus Stone October 23, 1834. Cyrus’ first wife, Atossa Frost (1798-1833) had died only months before, on August 7, 1933, due to a liver infection. The two children of the first marriage returned to the USA while Cyrus remained in India.

At-eam024a5 book was published about Abigail Stone titled Mrs. Cyrus Stone: A Missionary; Abroad and at Home, in 1876. At first I was not sure which Mrs. Cyrus Stone the book referred but the excerpt I read puts her at a boarding school in Abigails native Maine, while Atossa grew up in Marlborough New Hampshire. An excerpt from the book is as follows:t-eam024a6

She went to the academy at Bridgeton, Maine; lived in the family of her minister, Rev. Mr. Douglass; attended the district school when her mother could spare her; engaged herself to Mrs. Chamberlain in Portland, in order to obtain money for tuition and books, and was treated there very kindly; went again to the academy, hiring a room, and boarding herself; took a district school for a first and second time, in her native town.

Cyrus Stone (1793-1867), the son of Captain Shubael and Polly (Rogers) Stone of Marlborough, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, graduated in 1822 from Dartmouth College and then studied divinity at Andover Theological Seminary, graduating in 1825.t-eam024a7 He was ordained as a missionary at Springfield, Massachusetts in June 1826. Shortly afterwards he married Atossa Frost on August 21, 1826. He sailed from Boston to Bombay, India in June 1827 and did not return for 13 years. t-eam024a8Back in the United States, he was installed as pastor of the Congregational Church at Bingham, Maine in October 1841. He later became the editor of the Happy Home and Parlor Magazine at Boston.

In 1838 the Stones moved from Bombay to Alibag but shortly after that time he left for Ceylon to establish a mission at Jalna. His wife remained in India. I do not know what became of them after they separated but the letters suggest they were together again in Ceylon in 1840. The last mention of Cyrus Stone in the Missionary Herald is that he was dismissed on August 22, 1839. However, the fact that he was still doing the lords work in Ceylon beyond that date indicates that there may have been a falling out with the American Missions Board and that he remained in the field nonetheless. Most of my research here has been from analyzing the annual reports of the Missionary Herald. The letters in this archive are important in that they date from a period when there is no record of the Stones activities as missionaries.


Manuscript journal dating from 1866. On the front cover, engraved in gold lettering, it says, “Elder Skinner and his customers.” On the back cover, engraved in gold it says, “Edmund and Mary F. Field.” Then inside I saw the city name of New Rochelle (New York I’m assuming).

At first I thought Edmund was Elder Skinner and perhaps it’s his alias but when I went to look up Mary F. Field on the web I found that she was married to Edmund Field and she was once Mary F. Cornell; that of course if this journal belonged to the same Edmund and Mary as I found on the web. If it is, Edmund was born in 1813 and died in 1890. Mary was born in 1809 and died in 1874 and they were married in 1858.

As you’ll see in the following excerpts it sounds as though Elder Skinner is writing this journal but it also sounds like Edmund could be writing the journal so more research needs to be done. This also could be a book written by Elder Skinner and then dedicated to the Fields.

I can tell you they are Quakers and most of the journal, which has 122 handwritten pages, has to do with the evils of “intoxicating” liquor and other addictive substances and stimulants. There are a few other notes on various subjects. The most interesting thing is that I felt like the author had once sold liquor (cider) and eventually saw the errors of his ways and now is trying to reform everyone. I’ve quoted from several of the passages to give you a better idea but first here are a few of the titles you’ll find in the journal….t-eam023a

“Apology, Creed Versified, Lines Written on the Death of a Little Ebony’s Name Sake, Explanatory, On the Dangers of All Artificial Stimulants, Explanatory, Pickles Should Never Enter the Human Stomach, On the Folly; and Filthiness of the Use of Tobacco, Elder Skinner and His Customers; He Proceeds to Eulogize His Apples and Cider, The Cider Toper Becomes Impatient and Desires Elder Skinner to be Brief, and Conclusion.”

The first page says, “Rambling Thoughts of Leisure Hours.” Across from that it says, “Edmund and Mary F. Field. The following pages, with all their imperfections, are gratefully and affectionately inscribed as a token of remembrance when long years have flown away and the hand that rudely sketched it, lies moldering in the clay. O! then with gentle steps pursue your rugged march through time, let not your heart or hands be stained by cruelty or crime.”

Here are a few other excerpts….

“Criticism on Cider making and cider selling Friends: I am well aware that in attempting to call in question the morality or utility of a long established, hoary headed custom, that numbers amongst its advocates, ministers, elders, overseers and other Friends in good standing in the Society, that I cannot reasonably hope or expect to escape censure.”

“Cider as a Beverage Worthless: I can well remember the time, when our excellent and worthy Friends, Thomas Hawkshurst and Alexander Young, both valuable ministers in the Society of Friends, were largely engaged in the business, the former occupying as a cider vault, the basement of the Friends Meeting House in Pearl Street, in the city of New York, while the latter might be seen, pensively wending his way through the city, pushing his little hand cart before him filled with bottles containing samples of cider for which he was endeavoring to find customers, apparently without any compunction or scruples of conscience in either case. Yet the pernicious influence of their example was not lessened one single iota, in consequence of their innocence.”t-eam023b

“Thomas Fowel Buxton, a rich and influential Friend, was one of the most celebrated brewers in England. I have been credibly informed that the traveler in passing through the streets in London, in large letters painted over the doors of the beer shops and tippling houses, Buxton’s Best! It is also stated on good authority, that Thomas Paine (of Anti-Bible Notoriety) was a birthright member of the Society of Friends and that it was in the beer cellar of his father where he first contracted the habit of drinking to excess. But it was not in England alone where members of the Society have become celebrated brewers.”

“I had a number of good customers that bought liberally and paid well. These customers I had sought out amongst the tavern keepers and tippling houses in the city of New York and elsewhere; I could then under the sheltering wing of the discipline walk into the barroom, and call for a glass of Albany Ale or some other fermented liquor, with perfect composure. But I freely confess that I was perfectly disgusted with the company that the delivery of my cider led me into. t-eam023cAt this point the light first began to dawn and the fog that had hitherto obscured my vision, vanished and with it the distinction that I had heretofore supposed I saw between distilled and fermented liquors. I now beheld the whole catalogue of stimulating and intoxicating beverages as being the legitimate. Children of the same diabolical parent and all inheriting a large portion of their father’s Satanic Spirit:whose family likeness and affinities for each other are so completely that I confess that I can no longer find where to draw the line of separation; it would be, in my estimation, simply an effort to make a distinction where no difference exists.”

“On the Danger of All Artificial Stimulants: Tobacco and Opium, in their multifarious forms are also summoned to assist in banishing the blues, or Hypo (as it is sometimes called) for the purpose of restoring peace and tranquility to the poor depressed and desponding mind. But Alas! All these remedies are only temporary and therefore only calculated to increase the mental malady that they were confidently expected to cure; and the poor helpless victim is thus left powerless, to be swallowed up by that owning moral maelstrom of Intemperance or suicide and lost forever.”

“Apology. Elder Skinner and His Customers Brought Face to Face: I presume that it will not be inferred from the picture I have drawn or attempted to draw of cider making and cider selling Friends in general and elders in particular, that I have been an eye witness to all the disgusting and heart sickening scenes that I have attempted therein to describe.”

“Pickles Should Never Enter the Human Stomach: In relation to the use of pickles, I confess that I have strong doubt to whether under any circumstances, they should be allowed to enter the human stomach inasmuch as they are rejected by every four footed beast and creeping thing that breaths and moves on the face of the earth. For it is not pretended that they possess the smallest particle of life sustaining properties to recommend them.”

“In the Folly and Filthiness of the Use of Tobacco: The reader will also perceive that notwithstanding I have made Elder Skinner a smoker, yet I have nothing against the use of tobacco. For it does really seem to me, that the practice is so utterly useless and unnatural, apart from its disgusting filthiness and its despicable, loathsomeness, that no decent, sane person that possessed the smallest particle of reason and common sense would be in the least possible danger of contracting the habit.”

t-eam023d“Elder Skinner and his customers brought face to face: A neighbor, poor lives in our town with wife and children five, where misery and rags abound and nothing seems to thrive. He loves his bottle dearly well and is a poor provide. His wife and children he would sell to purchase rum and cider. He arises in the morning while all is calm and still, and with a lusty jug in either hand. At Elder Skinners cider mill he promptly takes his stand and after lounging here and there. His patience wanes apace, then to the Elders house he doth repair and finds him saying grace…..” (This poem is actually 26 pages long and there is much more to it)

“The cider Topee becomes impatient and desires Elder Skinner to be brief: To Neighbor Skinner: Please be brief for I am exceeding dry and if I cannot get relief I fear that I shall die.”

The journal has some wear on the spine and the cover is starting to pull away from the binding. All the pages are bound together however. There is also a bit of foxing on those pages. The journal measures about 4" x 6 1/2".

An interesting Quaker journal.

Price: $550.00



Archive of material from a New England family spanning from the 1880's to the early 1920's. Almost all written by a woman by the name of Lucy A Merrill of Hudson New Hampshire. Mrs Merrill was related in some way to Reverend Boynton Merrill who attended Dartmouth and, served as a chaplain during WW I. She may have been his older sister since he was born in 1891. There is a newspaper clipping about his that was found in one of the diaries that describes his background and education. In regard to the archive it includes 25 handwritten diaries. All except for 3 are full with entries and in very good readable condition( two diaries are completely blank). t-eam022bt-eam022cThe remaining 22 are for the most part full of handwritten entries in pencil, and the writing is fairy easy to decipher. The earliest diary is from 1873 and belonged to Charles E. Spalding of Hudson New Hampshire. Most diaries are dated in the 1890's and early 1900's. The majority have Lucy A Merrill's name written inside the front cover. While this lot came from one source, and it seems that it’s all related. I do not have the time to properly research this archive there could be some surprises as far as content.

t-eam022dt-eam022eI only skimmed through the diaries to get an idea of the authors, and location. I did see that she took a trip to Chicago by train in 1885, and she seemed to mention sewing many times in this diary. Some of the diaries do not have her name but the handwriting is the same as those with her identification written on the blank paper at the front. In the 1885 diary she mentions her parents and a young man who appears to be courting her. Each diary is 75% full writing. I would estimate at least a minimum of 500 handwritten pages. t-eam022ft-eam022gIn addition I found artifacts hidden in the pockets of the diaries. All of these items are ephemera form the time period. A Fitchburg Railroad Ticket Envelope was found in a hand written diary from 1885 a real hair keepsake in another there are various newspaper clippings a few handwritten notes and a small handout for The Elgin Military Band Concert. etc. Sizes range from 6" x 3" to 3 1/4" x 2 1/2"Condition is very good. Some are leather and some are cloth bound.

Price for all diaries is: $450.00


1832 Waterford Connecticut Handwritten Religious Diary, First Baptist Church - Henry Potter

Manuscript diary of Henry Potter (1790-1864) born in Rhode Island where he was involved with cotton manufacture and served during the War of 1812 as an adjutant with the 3rd RI Regt. He moved to Waterford, CT in 1820 and was a town officer, justice, selectman and representative in the Legislature. He was a member of the First Baptist Church in Waterford.

Content, excerpts on church/religious feelings: Potters writes of being a "class leader"; "much zeal and love among the brethren",t-eam021bt-eam021c "Eld Tilden preached followed by many exhortations & remarks", Thanksgiving sermon by Eld Darrow. He struggles with his faith and ability to "conquer sins." He suffers a period of ill health and misses church, but rallies again "Altho in pain from a boil yet I have reason to rejoice." He mentions his wife Phebe and a few personal matters.

[Slavery] Dec. 30 "In the evening heard a pleasing discourse from an African Missionary collecting funds for the mission. He states that in 1620 there was for the first time 20 slaves landed and sold in James River since when more than 80 millions have been bought & sold and whose blood is now crying from the Ground for redress..." moret-eam021dt-eam021e

Jan. 11 "Had a very solemn interesting class meeting of about 50 comprised of old and young converts and seeking souls. There was much freedom and love among brethren and anxiety apparent in some of the anxious."

Size, condition: 102 pages of writing, 6.25" x 8.5", with near daily entries Sept. 1832-Jan 1833 and sporadic Feb.-June 1833. Text includes 11 pages of bible notes at rear. ID'd inside cover. Handmade, bound medium-weight boards, string. Binding secure. Edgewear with small areas of loss. Scattered pencil underlining by a former owner. A few pages ink faded. Clean VG. Also included is a short history of the First Baptist Church of Waterford.

Price: $800.00

t-eam021h t-eam021f t-eam021g

t-eam019t-eam019aTwo “line-a-day” diaries from Olivia Bigelow dated 1913-1917 and 1918-1922. Olivia was very active and was a teacher. She enjoyed going to the movies………many movies are mentioned by name as well as the books she read, playing bridge, horseback riding, playing a game called “B.B”, golfing, camping, all kinds of sports, dancing, sailing, reading and more. Active in a number of clubs ( A.C.A., B.C.A.C., Y.W.C.A. The Mission Circle and more), she was a very social person and also enjoyed her time with her large family, church activities, joining a sorority and was something of a seamstress almost and enjoyed the culinary arts and domestic activities….canning, mushrooming, giving parties, knitting, etc. She enjoyed trips to Syracuse.t-eam019bt-eam019cShe mentions the flu epidemic of 1918, registering to vote and other events of the day. I have to say that this young woman was one of the most active people I have ever read about. Every day was a full day and what impressed me about her is how involved and active she was and how independent she was and yet very much a family person. I enjoyed learning the names of the movies she watched and the books she read. She lived at home at the time of writing and during the 10 years covered by diaries she went from being a college student to a teacher. Two years after writing she took a trip to Scotland and two years after that she was married. Handwriting is very legible, covers are worn.

Price: $600.00

Note:t-eam019dt-eam019eOlivia Bigelow was born June 3, 1894 at Baldwinsville, Onondaga County, New York. She was the last of 6 children born to Otis Munro Bigelow (1849 - 1939) and Lillian M Swetland Bigelow (1859 - 1948). Her siblings were: Otis Munro Bigelow (1881 - 1932), Elizabeth Bigelow (1882 - 1889), Marie Louise Bigelow Connell (1884 - 1967), Donald Bigelow (1887 - 1893), Helen M Bigelow (1888 - 1888) and Wallace Bigelow (1890 - 1939). She was issued a passport on May 1, 1924 and travelled to Scotland, returning September 1 aboard the “Orduna” from the port of Greeock, returning to New York. She married Robert W Keyes (1893 - 1965) in 1928 and she quit her job as a school teacher and became a homemaker. Together they had two children, Robert William Keyes (1930 - 2015) and Louise C Keyes (1931-2005. She died at Utica, New York, October 16, 1982 and is buried at Riverview Cemetery in Baldwinsville, Onondaga County, New York, Plot: 34 RS.

t-eam019f t-eam019g t-eam019h t-eam019i
t-eam019j t-eam019k t-eam019l t-eam019m

t-eam018t-eam018aCollection of 24 diaries hand written by Maria P. Hedden of Edgartown, on the Island of Martha's Vineyard in the state of Massachusetts. These diaries start in the year 1892 and end in 1925, at the time of her death. Most of these diaries are written in "THE STANDARD DIARY" published by the Standard Diary Co. Most of the diaries are covered in leather, there some covered in cloth and a few paper covered diaries. Maria Hedden wrote in her diaries daily, usually brief entries sometimes only one line sometimes several lines. In addition to writing about her daily activities she sometimes wrote about the weather and how she was feeling. She kept track of birthdays , deaths and other important dates. In the back of some of the diaries she kept spending accounts. She kept track of who was married and important events. The diaries are not completely consecutive, the dates are as follows: 1892, 1899, 1904, 1905 1906, 1906, 1907, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924, 1925 & 1925. There are two diaries for the year 1906 and two for the year 1925. These diaries are in very good condition!

Price: $1290.00

Note: t-eam018bt-eam018cMaria Pease Heddon was born in Massachusetts in 1846. She was the daughter of Joseph T Pease (1814-1897), who was a probate judge, and Sophronia Norton (1815-1884). In 1871 she married Edward Fitch Hedden (born in Connecticut in February, 1840), an engineer who served in the Union Navy during the Civil War in the Revenue Cutter Service for the Treasury Department. He was invalid in May 16, 1895 and died June 1, 1908. They had no children. She had 3 brothers: Cyrus H Pease (1849-1922), Walter W Pease (1851-1924), Henry E Pease (1854-1855) and a sister Annie (b. 1866). She died in Edgartown October 29, 1925. Maria was a Daughter of the American Revolution (ID# 14973) and a descendant of Noah Pease (The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 15 page 360).

The interesting thing about this collection is that one is able to track the development of a DAR married womens life throughout the time that her husband became invalid and died, as well as the death of her father and two brothers, right up to the time of her own death.

t-eam018d t-eam018e t-eam018f t-eam018g

t-eam015t-eam015aManuscript Diaries of Frank Tenney, his wife Edith and his daughers Kathryn and Margaret, dated 1882-1928.

Collection of 11 diaries from Frank Tenney, his wife Edith Bouve Tenney and their daughters Katharine and Margaret and 5 Haverford school report books from their son John Bouve Tenney from 1901-1906. The collection includes diaries for following years: for Frank Tenney - 1882, 1920, 1922, 1923 and 1928. For Margaret there are two diaries, covering the period 1910-1924, as well as a ledger for 1914 accounting for how she spent her allowance. For Katharine there is one diary, covering the period 1916-1918. Lastly the diary from Edith covers the period 1912-1916. The diaries for Katharine, Margaret and Edith are five year diaries, which has one page containing each day for each five years. Franks diaries are all one page per day. The diaries are written in ink, in a legible hand. The five year diary measures approximately 3" x 6", the rest of the diaries are small pocket diaries, measuring approximately 2" x 3". Almost every page has been written in. The entries are generally short, between one to three sentences per day. Some of the diaries have memoranda, notes, addresses, or cash accounts entries filled in at rear. The diaries record Tenney's everyday activities, both social and business, such as annual company meetings he attended, or company directors meetings, or where he went in relation to work, who he met with, etc. t-eam015bt-eam015cThere are also over the years records of various vacations, places he toured, etc. The diaries of Edith and the two daughters gives insight into their daily life. The diaries for Margaret are particularly interesting because they span, uninterrupted, 14 years of a girls life where she matures from teenager to adult.

Price: $700.00

Note:Frank Tenney was an assistant superintendent of the Pennsylvania Steel Company. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1861, the son of Benjamin F. Tenney and Mary (Viles) Tenney. B. F. Tenney was born in Sutton, Worcester County, Massachusetts, in 1813, and was for many years a merchant in Boston, but subsequently became a member of the Boston Stock Exchange with which he was connected for many years. B. F. Tenney was married in January, 1861, to Mary Bowman Viles, daughter of John and Sally (Dudley) Viles, of Lexington, Massachusetts. Together they had at least three children: Frank Tenney (our diary writer); Maud Tenney, wife of F. F. Sherburn, and Arthur Tenney, who died in 1866. Frank Tenney was educated in the public schools of Boston, finishing his course in the English high school in 1879. He then took a four years' course in metallurgical and mining engineering in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, receiving his B.S. in 1883. Shortly after graduating from M.I.T., Tenney moved to Steelton, Pennsylvania and was appointed assistant superintendent of the blast furnaces and served in this position until the fall of 1885 when he was transferred to Ashland, Baltimore County, Maryland, to take charge of some blast furnaces which the Pennsylvania Steel Company had leased.t-eam015dt-eam015e In 1886 he returned to Steelton and was made purchasing agent of the Pennsylvania Steel Company, which position he held until 1890. From this year until 1893 Mr. Tenney was an assistant to the general manager, where he was eventually promoted assistant superintendent, which position he held for a number of years. Mr. Tenney was married at Hull, Massachusetts, June 4, 1889, to Miss Edith C. Bouve, the daughter of George F. and A. F. (Cutler) Bouve, of Boston. Together Tenney and his wife had at least three children: John B. Tenney, born June 26, 1890; Margaret Tenney, born April 1, 1892, and Katharine Tenney, born October 5, 1894. His son John B. Tenney was struck by several steel beams in 1917 while working at a steel plant and died. Mr. Tenney's politics were Republican. He was a member of the school board of Steelton. The Pennsylvania Steel Company of New Jersey had offices at the Girard Building in Philadelphia. It was incorporated in 1901 and owned practically all the stock of the Pennsylvania Steel Company, with works at Steelton, Harrisburg, and Leb. Frank Tenney died October 5, 1929 and is buried in Bryn Mawr.

t-eam015fEdit died in February, 1951. Katharine married Howard Edson and had one child. However they divorced and in 1940 Katharine and her daughter were living at her mothers home along with sister Margaret. She died in April, 1972. Margaret never married and died in May, 1976. The entire family is buried at Church of the Redeemer Cemetery in Bryn Mawr.

The really great thing about this collection is that you have lifes perspective from members of the same family over time. The daughters lives are interesting in that although only two years apart, one ended up a spinster and the other a divorced mother. You can place the diaries of the mother and two daughters side by side and get an insight as to how they each viewed the days events.

t-eam014t-eam014aFour diaries belonging to Ada May Webb, of Salem Ohio. They are as follows:
1) Begins on Jan. 1, 1896 through Jan. 5, 1897. 116 full pages. Measures 8.5x6 inches
2) Begins on Jan. 1, 1897 through Aug. 29, 1897. 100 full pages. Measures 9x5.5 inches
3) Begins on Aug. 30, 1897 through Jan. 15, 1898. 80 full pages. Measures 6x4 inches
4) Begins on Jan. 1, 1898 through Dec. 31, 1898. 183 full pages. Measures 7x4 inches These diaries are larger than usual and each one is packed with very legible entries. At the time of her writing she is 18 years old and lives at home. She is very close to her Aunt Ava who is near her age and they are more like sister than aunt and neice. While many diaries contain short bullet points of the days events this is a prolific look into the lifestyle of that era. The authors mode of travel was bicycle, and she took care of it the way we do today with cars. She writes of using a telephone on rare occasions at other peoples homes, of paying 25 cents to see a demonstration of a motion picture, wagon and buggy accidents, typhoid and other illnesses, quack medecines, and much more. The author attended a concert by Sousa’s Band, hears lectures given by the WTCU as well as the Anti-Saloon League. She was intelligent and very interested in current events which she noted in her diaries. I was surprised to see that she even discussed politics with some of the male members of her family during the McKinley election and she wrote often about the McKinley/Bryan race. These 4 diaries read like a book.t-eam014bt-eam014c

Price: $490.00

Note:Ada May Webb was born on March 30, 1878 to John Webb and Harriet Barnes, at Perry, Columbiana, Ohio. In July 1882 her sister Ava was born and then on October 11, 1889 her brother Norman Earl Webb (b.1876) died. On June 16, 1909 she married George James Hawkins (1879-1947) and she gave birth on August 19, 1911 to George, followed on July 31, 1915 to Jean Ellen. Shortly afterward the family moved to Salem Ward 4. In March, 1922 her father died, followed by the death of her mother on April 5, 1928. Her husband died in 1947 and she passed away on March 31, 1959 at Salem, Columbiana

t-eam013 t-eam013a t-eam013b

Two small diaries dated 1869 and 1871, belonging to Mary Woodruff. The first was written when she resided in Clarendon, Vermont. The second when she resided in Boston, Massachusetts. The first diary contains over 330 entries, almost every day, while the second contains roughly 230 entries. The diaries focus on day-to-day life of a woman who appears to be in her late teens. Page edges are guilded. The 1869 diary measures 4 x 2.25inches and the 1871 diary measures 3.5x2.25 inches. Very good condition.

Price: $120.00

t-eam012t-eam012a1916 handrwritten diary belonging to Mrs. Josephine Conklin. She lived Mount Morris, New York. At the time of writing she is 66 years old and living with her husband Ed. They were farmers. Reading through it is clear that they are a real team and support each other with most of the work. There are a number of references to Ed not feeling well and in fact on October 31, 1918 he died. The diary sheds light on her family, friends, sickness, going on picnics, deaths, going to Tuscarora to sell eggs, butter and livestock, picking and canning berries. This is in addition to her daily duties of cooking, cleaning, churning, tending the garden. The diary is full and written in pencil. Tucked in the back pocket of the diary are miscellaneous papers, a great find by way of a Sears and Roebuck order form filled out with many orders. Every day of the year has almost full page entries, and a ledger at the back for receipts from rolled butter. The miscellaneous papers show the prices of things, receipts, adverts and as Sears and Roebuck filled out order form. What is nice is a photo of Josephine and Edward and their newborn daughter. The diary is about 3x5 inches.t-eam012bt-eam012c

Price: $200.00

Note:Josephine Conklin was born at Mount Morris, NY on July 20, 1850, the daughter of John and Sarah Miller. She married Edward on August 29, 1869 and together they had four daughters. Following the death of Edward, Josephine went to live with her daughter Mrs. John Geens. She died in their home on August 9, 1930