Three issues of The Depot Informer from the San Antonio Quartermaster Depot, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Issue No. 40 June 30, 1942, issue N0. 42 July 13, 1942 and issue No. 77 March 24, 1943. Gives detail on life at the fort during the war, humor, etc.
Note: Fort Sam Houston is a major military installation in the northeast section of San Antonio. The United States Army first established a presence in San Antonio at Camp Almus near the Alamo in October 1845 when the Republic of Texas was in the process of becoming a state. In addition to a small garrison, the post at San Antonio included a quartermaster depot. As early as 1846 the city was attempting to secure the establishment of a permanent United States military installation. During the Mexican War, the army established a mobilization camp at San Pedro Springs for Gen. John E. Wool’s army.
In 1890 the post at San Antonio was designated Fort Sam Houston in honor of Gen. Sam Houston. In 1886 Apache Chief Geronimo was held in the quadrangle before his exile to Florida. During the Spanish-American War, the First United States Volunteer Cavalry, commanded by Col. Leonard Wood but known as Roosevelt’s Rough Riders, mobilized in San Antonio and received their equipment from the depot in the quadrangle. In 1910 Lt. Benjamin Foulois brought the army's only airplane to Fort Sam Houston, and on March 2, 1910, he made his first solo flight, marking the “birth of military aviation”.
By 1912 Fort Sam Houston was the largest army post with the headquarters of the Southern Department, the San Antonio Quartermaster Depot, and a garrison of an infantry regiment, a regiment of cavalry, a field artillery battalion, and signal and engineer troops. During Gen. Pershing’s punitive expedition into Mexico in 1916, Pershing’s force was supported by the depot in the quadrangle and under the operational control of the headquarters in the quadrangle.
During World War I an addition of 1,280 acres northeast of the fort was purchased for a National Army Cantonment called Camp Travis. More than 208,000 soldiers passed through Camp Travis, including the Ninetieth Division, the Eighteenth Division, and numerous other units. After the war, the Second Division was billeted in Camp Travis. The temporary buildings of Camp Travis rapidly wore out and were replaced under the Army Housing Program of 1926. This program employed the best urban planners to design military communities. At the suggestion of San Antonio architect Atlee Ayres, Spanish Colonial Revival style was chosen for what would be called the New Post. Five hundred new permanent buildings were constructed between 1928 and 1939, including a general hospital. In the 1920s and 1930s, Fort Sam Houston was involved in the filming of the motion pictures The Rough Riders (1927), The Big Parade (1925), and Wings (1927); supporting the Civilian Conservation Corps; conducting large-scale maneuvers; and developing the “triangular division.”
By the 1930’s the fort had expanded to become the largest collection of historic buildings in the Department of Defense (800+) and formed the Fort Sam Houston National Historic Landmark. Located in the heart of San Antonio, the post is the birthplace of military aviation and saw the development of the concept of airborne operations.
During the war, the headquarters for the Third, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, and Fifteenth Armies trained and deployed from Fort Sam Houston. So did the VIII Corps, Second Infantry Division, Eighty-eighth Infantry Division, Ninety-fifth Infantry Division, and a host of smaller units. In 1944 the headquarters of the Fourth Army moved into the quadrangle. Also on post were schools for the adjutant general, the provost marshal, and railway operations. There was a prisoner of war camp and the first unit of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps. Many of the top commanders during the war were Fort Sam Houston alumni. Lt. Gen. Courtney Hodges commanded the First Army in Europe. Lt. Gen. Walter Krueger commanded the Sixth Army in the Pacific. Lt. Gen. William H. Simpson commanded the Fourth Army at Fort Sam Houston and the Ninth Army in Europe. LT. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner commanded the Tenth Army on Okinawa. When he was killed in action, LT. Gen Joseph W. Stilwell replaced him. Lt. Gen. Leonard T. Gerow commanded the Fifteenth Army in Europe. Brig. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, who began the war as Chief of Staff of the Third Army at Fort Sam Houston, rose to the rank of General of the Army and was the Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Forces in Europe.
After the war, the Fourth Army remained in the quadrangle, but Fort Sam Houston received a new mission—medical training. Brooke Army Medical Center was established with Brooke General Hospital, built in 1937, as its core.
Complete set of 57 cards by Helmar Turkish Cigarettes on Seals of the United States. This is part of a larger set of 150 cards including the Coats of Arms of All Other Countries of the World. The set in hand covers the USA and includes the Hawaiian Islands, the Virgin Islands and several Indian nations such as the Choctaw, Seminole, Cherokee, Pawhuski and Muscogee. Produced in 1910-1911 in New York. N
Complete set of 50 cards by Arbuckle Coffee on USA States and Territories, part 1. This is the first set of a two part set by Arbuckle Coffee showing USA States and Territories (WA071 on this website). This set is numbered 1-50 and the later is numbered 51-100. There were no other card sets issued by Arbuckle on this theme. These two series were published around 1898.
Hard cover original thesis titled Date Culture in the United States by Rached Zok (Self Published, 1928).
The front page reads "The following thesis, by Mr. Rached Zok, [represents] a year's study of date cultural methods as practiced in the United States Experimental Date Garden at Indio, California, and by the leading growers of Coachella Valley." Scarce work by Lebanese agricultural scientist, whose visit to the United States to study date cultivation was sponsored by New York businessman and Arabist, Charles Richard Crane. (Work is referred to as a "thesis" but appears to have been a private undertaking--no reference to academic institution.) Quarto, 62 typed pages + 12 pages containing 34 hand-mounted original photographs. Brown buckram binding with title and author's name handwritten on spine and front board. From a private collection. A few pages show small crease to bottom corner. A few pages show corrections, presumably in author's hand. This appears to be the only copy of Zok's work and the accompanying photos in existence. Very good condition. N SOLD
An album of 109 snapshots from South Dakota: the Black Hills, Rapid City and the Badlands. Some shots of old mines, a steam engine, log cabin, city views, and an Indian camp. Dated 1913. Most of the gelatin silver prints measure 4.5" x 2.75" and the album itself is 8" x 5.5" x 1.5". N SOLD